Developing the Young Workforce is a key programme in helping ensuring that all young people develop the skills and have opportunities to prepare them for life, learning, and work.
At Cathkin High School, the school will work as a team to develop these skills and to provide pupils with opportunities to prepare them for life after school. As well as this, the school has a Principal Teacher of Developing the Young Workforce and a support assistant who will work to co-ordinate various activities, share opportunities and develop the curriculum to help develop skills for life, learning and work.
The main duties of the DYW team at Cathkin High are as follows:
- To share DYW regional opportunities with pupils both universally for pupils to register interest in, and in a more targeted way where the team will use data that pupils have provided to offer opportunities directly.
- To share information about apprenticeships, work-experience/inspiration and employment with pupils.
- To work with faculties to develop the Career Education Standard. This includes organising opportunities for guest speakers, excursions and partnerships with industry.
- To develop partnerships with local employers and organisations to involve them in the provision of the above.
- To liaise with other colleagues in the organisation of whole school events such as positive destinations evenings, mock interview/application events, apprenticeship week and careers fayres.
- To liaise with South Lanarkshire Council in the Gradu8 Works programme to select and support pupils for this work experience programme.
Information on events and opportunities will be shared with pupils through the following channels:
- DYW Twitter
- Pupil Google Classroom pages
- ParentMail (where appropriate)
- Display boards in school
At Cathkin High School, we are committed to involve all members of the community in meeting the aims stated above. To help us with this, we invite parents and carers who have links with local business to communicate with the school to strengthen the already strong partnerships we have. If you wish to be involved in helping the DYW team develop opportunities for our young people, please contact Mr Murray on email@example.com.